I’ve been the tall girl since I could remember and still get clowned for it. Still! Like the giraffe, I guess I’m the tallest mammal on Earth that some humans have ever encountered. But also like the giraffe, I had no choice but to embrace my height and all the stares and awkwardness that accompanied it. There are also some cool benefits to being tall and standing out in a good way:
- I can see further into a crowd and beyond…like, down the block…
- My mom is one inch shorter than me and we’ve never lost each other in the store or said crowds. Never!
- I can help strangers in the market (where I do not work, btw) get items from the upper shelves.
- As a kid, peers thought I was older and stronger than I was and kinda left me alone; I’ve been confronted about liking some boy, some boy liking me and threatened to get “whooped”, but I never got myself caught up in a physical confrontation. (Have you seen giraffes fight?! My gawd😳)
- My height and leg length helped me win some track meets and get modeling gigs.
- Being teased my entire life for something I just am has thickened my skin. It’s also softened my heart to others that feel and look awkward (or just different) in their bodies. At a young age, I made it a point to never make fun of anyone for something they couldn’t change. (Except my nephew; he’s like a toothpick with hair. I’ll stop when he gets sensitive about it 🙂
Luckily I don’t have that weird chew or wormy tongue of a giraffe! Do you have a spirit animal?